Chargé de Recherches INRAE
Actual position and research subject
My researches focus on understanding the reprogramming of gene expression in the bacterium Escherichia coli. Messenger RNAs are at the crossroads of transcriptional and post-transcriptional processes. Their concentrations are finely regulated by the bacterium to best adjust its metabolic capacities to the resources available in its environment. In the adaptation phase, the bacterium very quickly reshapes its transcriptome, particularly by controlling the stabilization or destabilization of mRNAs. We are looking for the molecular and cellular determinants that control mRNA stability. We are more particularly developing approaches at the molecular level centered on the weight of the 5’UTR sequences in this control (UTR shuffling, exhaustive library, etc.). The knowledge is then transposed to the creation of new tools for expressing proteins of biotechnological interest. A second part of research focuses on the incorporation of non-canonical amino acids into proteins of biotechnological interest to create new enzymatic capacities or properties. We study and optimize the expression of the orthogonal genes involved in non-canonical amino-acids incorporation as well as their repercussions on the transcriptome and the physiology of the bacterium.
Education and Diploma
TBI – Toulouse Biotechnological Institute, Toulouse, FR
List of selected publications
- Nguyen HL, Duviau MP, Laguerre S, Nouaille S, Cocaign-Bousquet M, Girbal L. 2022. Synergistic Regulation of Transcription and Translation in Escherichia coli Revealed by Codirectional Increases in mRNA Concentration and Translation Efficiency. Microbiology Spetrum. Feb 23;10(1):e0204121. DOI: 10.1128/spectrum.02041-21
- Nguyen HL, Duviau MP, Cocaign-Bousquet M, Nouaille S, Girbal L. 2019. Multiplexing polysome profiling experiments to study translation in Escherichia coli. PLoS One. 19;14(2):e0212297. doi: 10.1371
- Laguerre S, González I, Nouaille S, Moisan A, Villa-Vialaneix N, Gaspin C, Bouvier M, Carpousis AJ, Cocaign-Bousquet M, Girbal L. 2018. Large-Scale Measurement of mRNA Degradation in Escherichia coli: To Delay or Not to Delay. Methods Enzymol. 2018;612:47-66. doi: 10.1016.
- Nouaille S, Mondeil S , Finoux AL, Moulis C, Girbal L and Cocaign-Bousquet M. 2017. The stability of an mRNA is influenced by its concentration: a potential physical mechanism to regulate gene expression. Nucleic Acid Research. 45(20):11711-11724.
- Tauzin AS, Laville E, Xiao Y, Nouaille S, Le Bourgeois P, Heux S, Portais JC, Monsan P, Martens EC, Potocki-Veronese G, Bordes F. 2016. Functional characterization of a gene locus from an uncultured gut Bacteroides conferring xylo-oligosaccharides utilization to Escherichia coli. Mol Microbiol. 102(4):579-592. doi: 10.1111/mmi.13480
- Nouaille S, Rault L, Jeanson S, Loubière P, Le Loir Y, Even S. 2014. Contribution of Lactococcus lactis reducing properties to the modulation of virulence expression in Staphylococcus aureus. Appl Environ Microbiol, 80(22):7028-35. doi: 10.1128/AEM.02287-14
- Falentin H, Naquin D, Loux V, Barloy-Hubler F, Loubière P, Nouaille S, Lavenier D, Le Bourgeois P, François P, Schrenzel J, Hernandez D, Even S, Le Loir Y. 2014. Genome Sequence of Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis bv. diacetylactis LD6. Genome Announcements 2(1) e01176-13
- Morello E, Nouaille S, Cortes-Perez N, Blugeon S, Medina L, Azevedo V, Gratadoux JJ, Bermúdez-Humarán LG, Le Loir Y, Langella P. 2012. Inactivation of YbdD gene in Lactococcus lactis increases the amounts of exported proteins. Appl Environ Microbiol 78(19):7148-51.
- Cretenet M, Nouaille S, Thouin J, Rault L, Stenz L, François P, Hennekinne JA, Piot M, Maillard MB, Fauquant J, Loubière P, Le Loir Y and Sergine Even. 2011. Staphylococcus aureus virulence and metabolism are dramatically affected by Lactococcus lactis in cheese matrix. Environmental Microbiology Reports 3(3):340-351.
- Cretenet M, Laroute V, Ulvé V, Jeanson S, Nouaille S, Even S, Piot M, Girbal L, Le Loir Y, Loubière P, Lortal S, Cocaign-Bousquet M. 2011 Dynamic analysis of the Lactococcus lactis transcriptome in cheeses made from milk concentrated by ultrafiltration reveals multiple strategies of adaptation to stresses. Appl Environ Microbiol. 77(1):247-57.
- Nouaille S, Even S, Charlier C, Le Loir Y, Cocaign-Bousquet M, Loubière P. 2009 Transcriptomic response of Lactococcus lactis in mixed culture with Staphylococcus aureus. Appl Environ Microbiol. 75(13):4473-82.
- Even E, Charlier C, Nouaille S, Ben Zakour N, Cretenet M, Cousin F, Gautier M, Cocaign-Bousquet M, Loubière P, Le Loir Y. 2009. Staphylococcus aureus virulence expression is impaired by Lactococcus lactis during mixed cultures. Appl Environ Microbiol. 75(13):4459-72.